Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Telling Him About the Birds and the Bees...

Jacob is presently 15, he'll be 16 next month.
His father and I have always shared with him only the information he could handle. Consequent to that, he wasn't told about sex until this past summer. He had a vague idea, but not specifics. This past summer, his Dad filled him in. His Dad told me he listened dispassionately and said he had no questions.

One day, recently, he asked his first sex related question. In a completely monotone with a flat affect he asked,
"Mom, can I ask a sex question?"
"Yes Jake."
"Childbirth, sex and periods....it there anything that happens between a woman's legs that ISN'T disgusting?"
"No. It's all bad. You should avoid it at all costs."
"I think I'll wait till I'm in college to have sex."
"Okay, sounds good."
"Or until I experience a dramatic reduction to my aversion to body fluids...."

Oh... the simplicity of autism...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:39 PM

    AS A MOTHER OF AN AUTISTIC SON WHO IS NON VERBAL I ABSOLUTLY LIVE TO READ YOUR STORIES ABOUT JAKE. ITS FACINATING TO HEAR WHAT GOES ON IN HIS MIND!! I LOVE THE HUMOUR TOO, I CERTAINLY NEED TO LAUGH WHENEVER I CAN!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. How old is your son? Mine was non-verbal till 5.
    God bless you and take care.

    ReplyDelete